Two years ago, Ethan was diagnosed with Autistic Disorder.
Of course, this diagnosis did not come quickly or easily. Looking back the signs were there far earlier than we originally thought. I remember on one visit to the doctor where this 'autism" was first mentioned and he was only about 2 years old. I left the doctors feeling shocked and clueless. I had very little idea about what Autism was. I remember driving straight to my parents house and cried as I told them what the doctor had said. But I knew, deep down I knew that he was right. Knowing what I know now, I should have saved those tears because there were harder times than that still to come.
It would be another two years after this that he would eventually be diagnosed. A long and slow process that was incredibly frustrating. With each test came more information that became evidence of what was already apparent. I cannot tell you how hard it is to see so many people who all have different ways of telling you that you child is 'developmentally delayed'. Our life became all about getting him diagnosed so he could get the help that he needed. I was angry, sad, frustrated and so, so tired.
Fast forward to now. Two years since diagnosis. We still have the ups and downs but he has come so far. We have been to see countless specialists and I am still surprised that new ones come up, I thought surely we could have seen every type of specialist there is. Cardiologists, speech therapists, psychologists, occupational therapists, people who specialise in sleep disorders, ear, nose and throat specialists and of course Autism specialists. We have shared in countless obsessions, Dora the Explorer, coat hangers, lining up toys and now numbers and calendars. Yes, we have had lots of tears but there have also been lots of laughs and good times.
So, to all those who said he would never go to mainstream school, look at him now! To all those who said he would never make friends, he has more friends than you can count on both his hands! To all those who said his talking would always be behind, well you are probably right, but we are leaps and bounds ahead of where we were! And finally, to those people who called him "special" you are absolutely right, this boy is amazingly special. He is so much smarter than you give him credit for. He has a smile that can light up the room, he can do a sum in his head before most of you can and when he loves, he does it with his whole heart. Just look at him now...

No comments:
Post a Comment